Wednesday, January 24, 2018

Beginning direct appeals to my friends for patronage

I have begun private messaging all my Facebook friends making direct appeals for Jackdaw support. I do so with absolutely no expectation! It's simply an invitation to be part of what I'm doing. I fully understand that many people can not afford to be a financial part of what I'm doing. I appreciate them simply sharing Jackdaw on their social media as well as their expressions of spiritual and moral support. I'm only through the first names starting with a 'B' at this point. But already the feedback about the website copy has been invaluable! Thank you for sharing your impressions. It is helping me make the site better all the time. One great point that two friends made to me in the last couple of days is that they would like to see family portraits on the site. I completely understand that expectation, but there is a specific reason why I am not doing that. I've added a section explaining why this is. Here's the copy regarding sharing family portraits from the FAQ section of jackdaw.love-


Why aren't there any family portraits displayed on your site? 
The vast majority of the families I am photographing either need to remain anonymous or simply desire to be. This is not a campaign for social change or a cause beyond blessing people with portraits of their families and children. None of the people I photograph have to give me any identification or documentation. I keep no records of them beyond archiving their shots. No names are written down, only their shoot day portrait number so that I can deliver their images to them the day after the shoot. While I am sure I will ultimately shoot families that would like for their portraits to be shared, I will only do so on my blog. This is because it is important that when potential clients go to this website for the first time, they don't see it populated with family portraits which could make them nervous about their images being posted on the web or used to promote this outreach. I have been part of the marketing machine my entire career and that's the last thing I want this gift to be perceived as. Jackdaw is a completely open offering to bless. One that gives to these individuals and families without condition. And since I am serving communities that often live on the margins of society, and even immigration law in some cases, I take preserving their anonymity very seriously. The only family portraits I will ever share on my social media will be from families that expressly want to share their experience beyond their own social media. I will however share all kinds of photos of the journey including behind the scenes images to give a feel for the kind of environments I am working in. I will extensively share my experience in the journey, but never at the expense of my clients.


Please let me know what you think.

¡Gracias!

Rich

No comments:

Post a Comment