Monday, July 4, 2022

Jackdaw transparency...


As most everyone who follows me knows, jackdaw.love is about gifting portraits to families who are underpriviliged or homeless. I've been at this work full time for 4 years as of July 31, 2022. As of this blog post, I have created portraits for 389 families! All of which have been provided at no charge to the families as well as the operations that house them. There are three key ways I am financially pulling this off thus far.

1> I live in my truck full time in order to keep my monthly expenses low. No rent or mortgage.
2> I maintain a Patreon account where people who want to support the work I do can make automatic monthly donations. I also have a PayPal donation link on my website. 
3> I pull from my retirement savings every month to cover the balance of my operating expenses.

At this point in time, my Patrons are covering almost half my monthly expenses- Thank you, you guys rock! My biggest expense is fuel. Next is food, and then cell phone, insurance, print paper and cartridges, a small storage unit, gym membership, and miscellaneous web related expenses.
In the last 6 months since the Exploring Alternatives video went live, I have gained about 20 patrons which has been fantastic! I think there's a possiblity that many of them became patrons without reading through my website for a thorough explanation of the work I do and how it's done. As a result, in the last few months I have lost a few  who have stated 'Lack of Transparency' for their reason they ended their patronage. This is what motivated me to write this post.
I know it's challenging for many who support this work to never get to see any of the portraits. But, protecting our subject's privacy is of paramount importance. The vast majority of the people I photograph are escaping domestic violence. Many are dealing with cataclysmic loss. Many are making their first tangible steps to recover from alcohol or drug addiction. Many are hopeful about the steps they are taking at the point I photograph their family. But, they are far from being willing to let their portraits out in the public domain. Yes, I do ask on occasion when it seems a possibility. But thus far, only one family has given me permission to share their portrait. Consequently, that's the portrait on my public Patreon page. 
You see, I experienced domestic violence as a young teen and have lived the scenario when a mom has to literally escape with her children while her husband is at work. I know that terror first hand. From the very beginning of this work, I have made it crystal clear to every family that they own the photos we create for them and that I will never publish them. This is a sacred and non-negotiable trust. The families own the portraits I create and even the shelters that house them have no rights to the portraits unless the families grant them.
Something new I'll be doing is  anonymously sharing some of the very moving experiences I have whilst photographing these families. I'll be doing this on occasion on my weekly YouTube video post. You can find my YouTube channel by searching 'jackdaw.love' there.  
There aren't words for how grateful I am to the donors and patrons of this work! I would have been out of funds two years ago were it not for your support. It's been just enough to keep extending me out bit by bit so I can keep at this as my full time purpose. Thank you! I also deeply appreciate your understanding regarding not getting to see the portraits you make possible. That is truly selfless charity and I am deeply honored by it. Let me also assure you that the families you are blessing are extremely grateful!
It's my hope that this post answers questions regarding how this all works and I encourage you to use the comments to ask any questions you may have. You may also feel free to email me if you prefer a more private dialog. My email is redskyphoto@yahoo.com.
As always, thank you for your support and for taking the time to read this.

Sincerely,
Rich

8 comments:

  1. Rich, I am so sorry you have had to lose patrons. Your work is crucial. I not only knew you, your Mom, and Nicole at the time of your troubles, but years later had to escape a marriage in the exact same "run away" method. You are giving these families something so powerful and a keepsake forever. Even though I have supported you for a few years now, this has motivated me to up my monthly rate. I hope others will consider the difference we make as a TEAM with just a little bit more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I greatly appreciate that Anonymous! Thank you 🙏

      Delete
  2. I just doubled my monthly rate. Hope that helps. I admire what you do. Thank you for YOUR service.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am so grateful for your support Jean! Thank you 🙏

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love what you are doing and I appreciate how you protect those that you serve. I believe if patrons and others read your jackdaw page they would see that you are very transparent. I appreciate what you are doing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your kind words and encouragement.

      Delete