Saturday, December 22, 2018

What a difference a year makes

A year ago I was working on the Jackdaw launch strategic plan in the kitchen of the little house I rented in Ellensburg. It was snowy outside and July 31, 2018 felt years away! Now, here I am in constant flux as I flow back and forth between Jackdaw in Seattle and caregiving for mom in Olympia. Nearly every aspect of my life has changed since I left Ellensburg and my job at CWU. It's an amazing and very challenging lifestyle. I find my spirit and perceptions constantly challenged, especially by my mom's situation.

It reminds me of a cartoon I once saw of two figures seated across from each other at a small table. One was 'Comfort' and the other 'Growth'. In the speech bubble Growth is saying, "I'm sorry  but this isn't going to work out". Man, it is so true! I love what I'm doing with my life and energy, but it is not comfortable, nor did I expect it to be. After five months now I can tell you comfort is extremely overrated. Seeking comfort as a life goal will make your world very small and artificial.

My wish for you as you wrap up this year and embrace the next, is that you would examine and challenge your priorities. You may have 60 years of life ahead or 10 minutes. Make the most of your gifts and energy. Get uncomfortable from time to time. I promise you, you'll learn things about yourself that you never could any other way.

Namaste.

5 comments: