Saturday, February 3, 2018

Why no family pics on your website?

A few of my followers and patrons have suggested that I should have family portraits on the Jackdaw website  There are good reasons why I have elected not to put examples of family portraits there and here's why-

The vast majority of the families I am photographing desire to remain anonymous or actually need to. This is not a campaign for social change or a cause beyond blessing people with portraits of their families and children. None of the people I photograph have to give me any identification or documentation. I keep no records of them beyond archiving their shots. No names are written down, only their shoot day portrait number so that I can deliver their images to them the day after the shoot. I am sure there will ultimately be families that would like for their portraits to be shared and I will do so on my blog and social media. I feel it is important  that when potential clients land on this website for the first time, they don't see it populated with family portraits which could make them nervous about their images being posted on the web or used to promote this outreach. I have been part of the commercial marketing machine my entire career and that's the last thing I want this gift to be perceived as. Jackdaw is a completely open offering to bless. One that gives to these individuals and families without condition. And since I am serving communities that often live on the margins of society, and even immigration law in some cases, I take preserving their anonymity very seriously. The only client portraits I will ever share will be from families that expressly want to share their experience on my social media. I will however share patron portraits and all kinds of photos of the journey including behind the scenes images to give a feel for the kind of environments I am working in. I will extensively share my experience in words and images along the way, but never at the expense of my clients.

Feel free to share your thoughts with me about this. I always appreciate your feedback!

No comments:

Post a Comment