Saturday, December 28, 2019

Feels like home to me.

By now the majority of folks reading this blog have probably seen the news feature about me that KING5 just aired. In case you haven't seen it, here's a link-

https://www.king5.com/article/life/seattle-photographer-chooses-homelessness-to-help-engage-with-local-community/281-8076951f-2d45-4f34-8392-f756f221615d

Jake Whittenberg and Matt Mrozinski shot with me three days for the feature. They were sincerely engaged in the story and we became friends as the project rolled along. Seeing the finished feature for the first time a few days ago was like unexpectedly hearing my voice on a recording! It's unsettling at first, but then you begin to realize that's how you really look and sound. In the case of this story, it also shows me how they saw me, which is quite humbling and an honor. They're both passionate about their work and it shows. Thank you guys!

But, there's one thing about the feature that I have wrestled with from the first time I saw it. It's a single word. 'Homeless'. That really got me thinking about labels and the way they separate us. It's technically true that since I live in a vehicle, the government considers me homeless. But, I certainly don't feel homeless. There's a popular IG hashtag that perfectly sums up how I feel about my living situation - #houselessnothomeless. I prepared my vehicle for this life for over two years before launching into this. My home is tiny and has a truck chassis for a foundation, but it is no less a home than a brick and mortar one. I have overlander friends that have been living in their vehicles full time traveling the world for years and I've never heard them referred to as homeless.

In the work I do, I interact with people who are truly homeless. Many are in vehicles that provide nothing more than shelter from the weather. They don't have a kitchen, fridge, heat, a bed, solar power, or a toilet like I do. Then there are the ones with no vehicle who are truly without shelter. Living at that level of homelessness is extremely harsh, and it shows on them. They are the ones that people are most afraid to look at. I understand the need for a classification like the word homeless. But, I fear it does have a dehumanizing effect. For those of us that engage this community, we know the truth of their humanity. The vast majority of those who find themselves in this situation have had horrific life circumstances that they just couldn't overcome. They are every bit as individual, intelligent and capable as the successful people you know. There are hits in life that can be completely overwhelming and life changing. And for those that don't have deep enough resources and family or friend support, it can be devastating across the board. Sometimes they lose it all and fall into hopelessness.

Take some time to look deeper. They could be you under different circumstances. We've all taken chances and made stupid decisions in our youth that could have destroyed our lives. If you are happy with your life, you are not only blessed, you are lucky. I challenge you to think about that and look beyond whatever your judgements may be regarding the 'Homeless'. Perhaps through the lens of 'what if', you'll gain more empathy and gratitude, and become more capable of seeing the humanity in those wandering souls.


8 comments:

  1. Rich, thanks for posting the clip. It was fun to watch. I am feeling you on this though. My eyebrows went up when they referred to you as homeless. It bothers me. It just isn’t the right term given how carefully and thoughtfully made Hella in to a home!

    I had dinner with a friend tonight. He had seen my posts about you the other month and then recognized you when you showed up on TV! He was impressed by the clip and by how you are exemplifying your values. Cool.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for sharing your impression Ducktopian. And I'm glad your friend recognized me! I'm hoping 2020 is the year I reach a point of full patron support. Features like this are a big help in raising awareness of Jackdaw and getting us there.

      Delete
  2. Truly inspiring choices and journey. I know you didn't ask for my opinion and I understand if you decide to discard it - but why shy away from the "homeless" label? Own it, unless you don't feel you are worthy of it. But it seems like you are worthy and have prayed and planned and taken bold steps into this as your most important life work. You are all in. Why hold yourself apart or worry about the connotations of the word? It could be yours to cherish.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you for your response Tracy! I think the root of my discomfort with the term homeless being applied to me is that I am actually an overlander. I prepped Hella for years to be a rolling home as I travel. That's a far cry from the truly homeless people I serve. I'm not offended at being called homeless, it's just very far from accurate where my situation is concerned. And I'd hate for anyone viewing the TV feature to think that how I live is typical of people forced to live in their vehicles.

      Delete
  3. Keep up the good work Jack love the work that you do.I left you a voice mail on your your phone. Always Ken Brown

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Ken, thanks for contacting me. I just listened to your voice mail and will get back to you by the end of January. I have a bunch of family commitments for the next couple of weeks. Please remind me if you don't hear from me by the end of January! Thanks again!

      Delete
  4. What you are doing is absolutely great. We were all born with certain gifts and abilities. To use our individual gifts for the benefit of others is the greatest expression of humanity we can bestow on the humane race. Thank you for doing so. In 1999 I lost my ability to earn a living in my field. Since then I have had over twenty surgeries to keep me upright and mobile. During that time I remodeled one bathroom and two kitchens for suddenly widowed women, at no cost for my labor, using friends and companies who donated their time and sometimes material for the projects. Two wheel chair ramps were also built for an ALS patient and wheel chair bound woman, I don’t know her illness. I spent eight trips to Uganda teaching the building trades and vehicle maintenance to the people there. Also building houses for the less fortunate in Tecate Mexico. Building was my profession and God given gift that I could not let be wasted because of one accident. I still help others but on much smaller projects now that I am in my seventies and struggle with arthritis because of all the surgeries putting me back together. I just can’t let my God given gifts go to waste. Like you I serve all faiths no matter their belief or disbelief. Again thank you.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. My goodness Unknown! You certainly know what it feels like to do what I'm doing! Thank you for sharing your story and for being such a selfless philanthropist. Few things feel as good as giving of one's talents to those that need them. You have my respect and gratitude!

      Delete