Monday, September 24, 2018

A day of synchronicities






One of the most remarkable benefits of this lifestyle I have chosen is the time it gives me. Time to wander and follow whatever path unfolds for the day. Not all my days are unstructured, but today was. And this unstructured day brought me valuable new acquaintances and experiences. It started off like most of my Seattle days at the Ballard library using their wifi and doing some Photoshop work. After that I boarded the bus downtown and dropped off the prints and digital files at the Lyon. Stepping out their door is when the day opened up.

It's a glorious, sunny Fall day here. One of those days that is pure joy to walk around a city, so I did. As I walked north through downtown from Pioneer Square, I was reminded of an agency called Mary's Place that I've been trying to connect with. I looked them up on my phone and found their downtown address on Dexter. It was several blocks away so I just kept meandering in that direction. After a while, I felt like taking a sit for a bit. I couldn't find a bench, so I headed down a shady street between 3rd and 2nd. I plopped my ass down on the curb next to a gorgeous Pontiac Strato Chief. I took a drink of my water and then snapped the pic at the top of this post. The reflections in her curves were dynamite. As I'm sitting there, the owner of the car comes up with a new parking payment sticker for the window. I greeted him, told him his car was boss and that I just got a great pic of it and would he like to see it? He looked me over and said, 'You look harmless, sure!'. He liked the shot, so I asked if he'd like me to send it to him. He gave me his number and I sent it to him right then. It turns out he's and actor and an artist. His name is Rick. He was working on a large mural in a bar around the corner. I gave him my card and he was happy to have met me. We're connected on Instagram now. Way cool. So, I began walking again, enjoying my music as I went.

I found Mary's Place and was greeted warmly. I told the ladies at the desk briefly what I do and was given the business card of the person I need to contact to set up a shoot. Yay!

After I left Mary's Place, I began walking the alleys toward Lake Union. That's where I spotted the sweet little Goldfinch that had flown into the windows of one of the new buildings there. A very poignant reminder of our temporal nature. After sitting with him a few moments and then saying good journey, I headed down the alley and crossed through some new Amazon building with a cool glass topped breezeway between buildings.

I walked along the west side of Lake Union toward Fremont with the plan to eventually get on the bus to Ballard. It got interesting when I reached the docks full of floating homes. Those things are so damn awesome! I came across one that was open and had no gate. Just a sign that said, 'Private. Residents and Guests only'. I consider myself a guest, so I headed down the dock like I had every right to be there. The little homes were so unique and sweet. As I reached the end of the dock, I came across my first person there. I said hello and how goes it? He smiled and said he had had better days. I said I was sorry to hear that and what's up? He motioned to a large wooden flower box full of beautiful plants floating in the water behind his sailboat. He said he was about to take a cruise on the lake when he realized that somehow his boat had pulled the flower box off the dock edge as he pulled away. He was super bummed and trying to figure out how to get it back up. I said I bet we could get it up on dock together and he accepted my help. We introduced ourselves and got to work. His name is Adam. We got it turned right side up and tried hoisting it the couple of feet up out of the water, but it was just too heavy and it began coming apart as we put more muscle into it. So, Adam grabbed some rope off his boat and we got both ends tied up tight and maneuvered it back into lifting position. Using the ropes as handles we just managed to get it up on the dock with a mighty effort. We were relieved and happy! So see? I was a guest after all. Another new friend made by wandering where my heart leads me. I then relaxed on the end of the dock for a few minutes before saying goodbye and heading back to the street to catch my bus.

I tell ya, the lifestyle that living out of Hella allows me is not a sacrifice. It is an inspiration and blessing all the time. Namaste.

1 comment: