Friday, September 28, 2018

I received a gift today

On my walk to the library I came across a beautiful Seagull flight feather. I've been walking all over Seattle for two months now and this is the first gull feather I have come across. Judging by it's shape and the frayed last inch of it's trailing edge at the tip, I'd say it's been aloft for a long time before being replaced. It's been really fun to examine this morning.

It got me thinking about the nature of a gift. It continues to sadden me a bit how difficult it is for some people to understand what I'm doing. When I present Jackdaw to a new agency or individual, they are understandably skeptical. It's indicative of the society we live in where there is always a catch. All kinds of companies offer 'free' this and that. We all know it is never free. Even if it doesn't cost us something, you can bet the freebie has their brand all over it so you are turned into an advertising vehicle for them. Everyone has to be on their guard to assure they aren't being deceived or screwed over somehow. I patiently wade through the inquisition every time because it is necessary since we are all conditioned that a stranger doesn't give away something valuable for the sheer love of it. That's a sad thing to me. I wonder if it's that way everywhere in the world, or if it's exclusive to a wealthy nation like ours?

In any case, I loved the beautiful feather that I was gifted with this morning. I accidentally left it in the park before coming into the library to work for a while. When I was a block away I realized I had forgotten it and turned around to go back. I got two steps before it occurred to me that I had had my time with it and now it was someone else's turn. Sometimes, the best gifts are the ones you share.

2 comments:

  1. Greed is a condition of mankind. Yes, western culture and business practice heighten and celebrate it. We have had to learn, to be on our guard. Traditionally, First Nations Peoples appear more in tune with nature and are more generous, but greed can affect us all. Greed is a fear of not having enough. Generousity is an expression of love. The businesses you approuch, don't understand your love language. Try a Christain radio station?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for your perspective Unknown. I agree about our society. So far I get through fairly quickly to the agencies I approach. I'm still figuring out the best way to get the gift out there. Every week I learn better how to do it!

      Delete