Thursday, October 4, 2018

Live aboard lessons and adjustments

I'm in my third month of living on the road. It's not my first rodeo, so the surprises have been minimal. But, in recent days I have noticed just how broadly the minimalism and financial restraint has seeped into everything I do. With the arrival of the holiday season, and still living on my savings, I have to pass on all the sweet little indulgences I used to make when I had regular income. It's taken me a week of wrangling with myself to allow the purchase of this $4 playground ball to be my Halloween decor for Hella. Ugh! But, that's what happens to your perspective when you're living in survival mode. Buying anything other than food, fuel and sundries becomes a big decision. You begin to scratch the surface of what it feels like to be truly broke, which I am still a fair distance from. I'm sticking with putting all my energy into gifting people and building support for this work. I know that if I started other work in an effort to relieve the stress of dinging my finite savings every week, it would compromise what I'm working to build with Jackdaw.

I'm a very responsible Wolf, but sometimes, you've just got to have a little fun and give in to a holiday impulse! So, Happy Halloween from Hella and I! I hope this jack-o-lantern ball is lucky and stays put. I have certainly learned that anything not locked on or bolted down tends to walk away. Which is what happened to my Cub Scout neckerchief clasp that was wrapped around one of my grille guard bars. Hopefully it's being put to good use with it's new owner. I like that thought.

Have a wonderful day All!

2 comments:

  1. Its important to treat yourself now and again. I love sunrises, sunsets, chocolate, beach and bush walks.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I couldn't agree more! Walks are free and I take them every day! Chocolate is an occasional must.

      Delete