Monday, August 6, 2018

Wobbly you say?

When you drive a vintage rig and an old guy pulls up beside you saying your right rear (RR) wheel is wobbly, you pay attention. I asked him if it's just a little out of whack or a lot. He said A LOT.

I know there's some truth to what he was saying because my wheels are all custom built and I know that the center of the RR wheel is not welded perfectly square to the rim like the other three on the rig. The astute observer following along behind me will notice. But, this guy said 'A LOT'. So, I found a place to jack her up and check that nothing was about to fail. The RR wheel and hub were tight and smooth with no problems. Since I was in my coveralls and had the jack out, I went ahead and jacked up each wheel just to make sure everything was sound, and it all is. When I was done with all that, I put the tools away, started her up, put her in first gear and with her rolling at idle, jumped out to walk behind her making sure I wasn't missing anything. Everything looks normal. Which leads me to hope that the old guy was perhaps exaggerating things. In any case, I appreciate him taking the time to let me know. I hope he was truly wrong!

No comments:

Post a Comment